The Browns received Brock Osweiler and a 2nd round pick for a 4th round pick….think about that. Osweiler was such a heaping pile of dog shit that the Texans were willing to lose 2 rounds and extreme value to get rid of his humongous contract. And who was there to take him off their hands? The stinky Cleveland Browns. But this isn’t your usual Browns screw up. Here me out.
- First things first, say goodnight Bobby Griffin. He’ll be cut by the weekend. That will save the Browns about $7.5 million.
- Brock Osweiler could either be traded or cut. They don’t have to do either.
- The Browns have a trillion dollars in cap space so Osweiler’s salary is not a killer which allowed them to make this deal.
- Even though he was hot garbage in Houston, Osweiler has some capabilities. The Texans overpaid but Mike Glennon just got $15/year in Chicago…
- What’s the alternative? Kessler? Kevin Hogan? Start a rookie? Speaking of which.
- You have the #1 and #12 picks in this year’s draft.
- In a draft replete with top pro QBs available, this allows the Browns to put off drafting a QB in the top 12 IF THEY DON’T WANT TO.
This trade is brilliant for a lot of reasons, not just the 7 listed above. The Browns needed to get rid of RG3. They have holes to fill with the 2 picks inside the top 12. Osweiler brings a future second round pick and flexibility in the draft. If this move let’s the Browns take Myles Garrett (a freak who could be a game changer) and someone like Malik Hooker or Leonard Fournette?!?!
Add in the fact that they brought in Zeitler and Britt today and the Browns got me thinking they are back baby! Well, not yet. But maybe after next year. Good work GM!